Fighting Addiction Quotes That Outline The Misleading Appeal Of Addiction:
- Addiction begins with the hope that something out there can instantly fill up the emptiness inside. Jean Kilbourne
- Addiction is just a way of trying to get at something else. Something bigger. Call it transcendence if you want, but its like a rate in a maze. We all want the same thing. We all have this hole. The thing you want offers relief, but its a trap. Tess Callahan
- Addictions started out like magical pets, pocket monsters. They did extraordinary tricks, showed you thinks you hadnt seen, were fun. But cam, through some gradual dire alchemy, to make decisions for you. Eventually, they were making your most crucial life decisions. And they were less intelligent than goldfish. William Gibson
- At first, addiction is maintained by pleasure, but the intensity of the pleasure gradually diminishes and addiction is then maintained by the avoidance of pain. Frank Tallis
- Recovery is an acceptance that your life is in shambles, and you have to change it. James Lee Curtis
Best Addiction Recovery Quotes For Those Trying To Get Sober
Addiction doesnt only affect you. It also has a profound impact on your family, especially if you have children. If you need an extra kick to get sober, here are some motivating addiction recovery quotes.
Addiction is never easy. To get sober, you must want to free yourself from the grasp of addiction.
Recovery And Addiction Quotes To Elevate Your Perspective
66. Recovery is hard. Regret is harder. Brittany Burgunder
67. Every worth act is difficult. Ascent is always difficult. Descent is easy and often slippery. Mahatma Gandhi
68. Life doesnt get easier or more forgiving, we get stronger and more resilient. Steve Maraboli
69. When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. Henry Ford
70. That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Friedrich Nietzsche
71. Remember just because you hit bottom doesnt mean you have to stay there. Robert Downey Jr.
72. Rising from the ashes, I am born again, powerful, exultant, majestic through all the pain. Shannon Perry
73. I guess the worst day I have had was when I had to stand up in rehab in front of my wife and daughter and say, Hi, my name is Sam, and I am an addict. Samuel J. Jackson
74. No matter how dark the night may get, your light will never burn out. Jeanette LeBlanc
75. Recovery is an acceptance that your life is in shambles, and you have to change it. James Lee Curtis
Recommended Reading: How To Get Over Alcohol Addiction
Recovering From Addiction By Being Inspired By Others
Overcoming addiction quotes help you replace destructive and negative thoughts with reinforcing positive ones. Since unhappiness is linked with addiction, inspirational quotes make you feel happy to help you break those destructive links.
Lets take a look at some of the most inspiring quotes for overcoming addiction. You could print out this article and highlight the ones that speak to your heart. Or, write them down and put the paper in your wallet. Another great way to keep these is to keep them on your smartphone in an email or text file. Whatever way works best for you, its good to have overcoming addiction quotes handy when you need a boost of positivity, motivation, and encouragement.
Recovery Quotes About Believing In Yourself
One of the keys to a successful recovery is to find strength and inspiration wherever you can motivational quotes, family and friends, fellowship with others in recovery, and even from yourself as you celebrate each milestone on your journey back to sobriety and serenity.
Also Check: Medication Used For Drug Addiction
Recovery Quotes About Overcoming Adversity
I Got Sober I Stopped Killing Myself With Alcohol I Began To Think: Wait A Minute If I Can Stop Doing This What Are The Possibilities And Slowly It Dawned On Me That It Was Maybe Worth The Risk Craig Ferguson
Giving up drugs and alcohol is one of the most difficult things a person can do when they are physically and emotionally dependent on substances. However, recovery is about much more than just getting clean and sober. In recovery, participants work to develop personal capacities, build life skills and confront challenges head on. Each day in recovery, ones commitment and capacities are tested. Participants in recovery programs learn to break large goals down into small, achievable actions to focus on change they can affect to recognize when they need support and to ask for help when necessary. Inner strength accessed during this process serves a person in all facets of life. The persistence, commitment and resilience practiced in recovery can be applied to achieve ones personal, educational and professional goals.
Don’t Miss: Ways To Get Over Alcohol Addiction
Sometimes The Smallest Step In The Right Direction Ends Up Being The Biggest Step Of Your Life Tip Toe If You Must But Take The Step
Many blame themselves for not being where they want to in life. If you are in a dysfunctional relationship, you may feel like it is impossible for things to get better. If you are struggling with alcoholism or addiction, sobriety may feel like it is thousands of miles away. If you are dealing with both, you may feel even more hopeless. It is easy to get caught up in negative thought patterns or to feel like you arent capable of leading a healthy, addiction-free life like those around you. But focusing on those discouraging thoughts only prevent you from moving forward.
Small actions build over time, and taking that first small action will help you gain momentum to keep moving forward. Even if you are afraid that you will be unable to remain sober, the act of seeking treatment can change your life. If you or your loved one is struggling, take inspiration from these love and addiction quotes and make a change. Start by reaching out to a treatment center like Liberty Ranch that offers evidence-based programmingto learn more about next steps.
Inspiring Addiction Quotes That Describe Addiction
Many people dont realize that they have an addiction to a substance until they try to quit. One of the harshest realities is to acknowledge that you have an addiction. While this chapter in your life may be scary, know that youre not alone. Plenty of others have gone through the same process, and know what youre going through. Check out the following addiction quotes that describe what an addiction is.
If youre still on the fence about whether you have an addiction or not, complete a self-assessment quiz. These tools provide further insight on whether you have an addiction or not. It is not, however, a medical diagnosis.
Don’t Miss: How To Convince An Addict To Get Help
Recovery Quotes That Will Make Your Day
Recovery from any substance abuse disorder whether it is alcoholism or drug addiction requires both a physical and a mental commitment. Physical, because recovery requires abstinence from any intoxicating substances. Mental, because you have to put yourself in the right state of mind in order for the recovery to be successful and long-lasting. To help with that, here are some quotes that can make the journey of recovery less wearisome. Use them for inspiration, motivation, and validation whenever you are feeling tempted or overwhelmed.
She Goes From One Addiction To Another All Are Ways For Her To Not Feel Her Feelings Ellen Burstyn American Actress
There is also an important emotional element that Burystn addresses. Many addicts use drugs and alcohol as a coping mechanism to avoid difficult emotions and trauma. Child abuse, maltreatment, neglect, mental health issues and having substance abusing parents are all risk factors for addiction. This means a person who has experienced one of these issues may be more likely to develop an addiction. Drugs and alcohol can help a person numb feelings associated with these difficult experiences.
Read Also: How To Handle Food Addiction
Recovery And Addiction Quotes To Inspire You To Live Your Life Productively And Actively
96. I really mean when I say my biggest fear in early recovery was that I would never have fun again. The beautiful truth is that recovery has given me freedom and the confidence to go out in the world and leave my own mark. Tom Stoddart
97. Alcoholism is above all a disease of denial. David StaffordIf youre enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of alcohol quotes about the impact of drinking.
98. Someone once told me, I heard you finally got rid of your addiction. I smiled and said, No, addiction doesnt work like that. Once you have it, you will always have it. I just choose not to feed it. Anonymous
99. Recovery isnt always easy, but it certainly beats the alternative. Anonymous
100. Before you can break out of prison, you must realise you are locked up. Anonymous
101. Change your behaviours and your feelings will follow. Susan McManhon
102. We may think there is willpower involved, but more likely ¦ change is due to want power. Wanting the new addiction more than the old one. Wanting the new me in preference to the person I am now. George Sheehan
103. You are not weak for struggling. You are strong for continuing to fight. Anonymous
104. One of the hardest things was learning that I was worth recovery. Demi Lovato
105. Every day is a new day. No need to dwell on the past. Look straight ahead. Saint Charlotte
Addiction Quotes That Will Inspire You To Maintain Sobriety
126. Addiction is an adaptation. Its not youits the cage you live in. Johann Hari
127. Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. Vince Lombardi
128. It always seems impossible until its done. Nelson Mandela
129. Failure is a detour, not a dead-end street. Zig Ziglar
130. One of the hardest things was learning that I was worth recovery.Demi Lovato
131. Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. Mahatma Gandhi
132. The priority of any addict is to anesthetize the pain of living to ease the passage of day with some purchased relief. Russell Brand
133. Addiction is just a way of trying to get at something else. Something bigger. Call it transcendence if you want, but its a rat in a maze. Tess Callahan
134. Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with your self-esteem. Kurt Cobain
135. The initial journey towards sobriety is a delicate balance between insight into ones desire for escape and abstinence from ones addiction. Debra L. Kaplan
You May Like: What Is Drug Dependence And Addiction
Inspiring Recovery Quotes About Addiction
Addiction recovery quotes can give you the strength to persevere through the darkest stages of addiction. While attending meetings, going to individual and group therapy, and enrolling in an inpatient recovery facility are useful steps for getting sober, maintaining motivation is the most important part of your recovery journey. Its all about the mindset, so allow these 101 Addiction Recovery Quotes to inspire you!
Stand Up To Addiction And Get Sober
Dont let an addiction control your life any longer. Its time to stick up to the monster within and seek help getting sober. Print out some of these recovery sayings or recovery quotes, and place them somewhere you can easily see them from. Words can be motivation on getting clean. Speak to one of our counselors to get more information on various treatment options. Take each day one step at a time, and youll be sober before you know it.
Recommended Reading: How To Help An Addict Spouse
When I Got Sober I Thought Giving Up Was Saying Goodbye To All The Fun And All The Sparkle And It Turned Out To Be Just The Opposite Thats When The Sparkle Started For Me Mary Karr American Poet
Getting sober is scary. It can feel like losing a piece of yourself. Likely, you have experienced many negative consequences as a result of your addiction, but there also might have been something seemingly positive that drugs and alcohol provided. For example, if you suffer from anxiety, maybe drugs and alcohol helped to quiet those anxious, self-deprecating thoughts. Studies show an important link between generalized anxiety and substance abuse. Abusing substances might have allowed you to feel more comfortable around others and release your inhibitions. In fact, many subconsciously believe that they need to be high or drunk to be accepted by others. Some even feel like being the drunk or high person is part of their identity.
Quotes About Drug Addiction & Recovery
When recovery gets tough, you may be in need of something inspirational or motivational to help you stay on the right path. While there are famous quotes about everything from mother nature to quips about human nature, there are also several addiction quotes about recovery and sobriety. These must-read quotes about addiction recovery could be exactly what you need when times get tough.
Recommended Reading: How To Tell If Your Addicted To Alcohol
Reclaim Your Power And Ask For Help
It can be easy to feel helpless in the face of addiction the disease has a way of taking over your life and crowding out everything that doesnt support drug or alcohol use. It is also a disease that requires professional help to overcome. This is not because you are weak on the contrary, getting help requires great strength. If you arent sure whether youre strong enough to choose recovery, rest assured, you have the power.
33. The most common way people give up power is by thinking they dont have any. Alice Walker
34. I really mean when I say my biggest fear in early recovery was that I would never have fun again. The beautiful truth is that recovery has given me freedom and the confidence to go out in the world and leave my own mark. Tom Stoddart
35. I dont know where Im going from here, but I promise it wont be boring. David Bowie
Select a state to find options for rehab centers in your area.
Drug Addiction Quotes For Families
Addiction can happen to anyone even in communities filled with loving people. Unfortunately, when a drug addiction develops, family members and friends are also often directly impacted by the addiction. Thats why, in addition to taking steps to help get your loved one into a drug and alcohol rehab , its crucial for family members and friends to have a good understanding of addiction and how to continue to take care of their health as well.
Inspirational recovery quotes are meant to help you and your family renew your commitment to a drug- and alcohol-free lifestyle and inspire you to live your life to its fullest. So whether youre hoping to inspire your own journey to recovery or showing your support to a loved one, we hope the following quotes make you take to heart and celebrate.
Recovery is not a race. You dont have to feel guilty if it takes you longer than you thought it would.
There is no shame in beginning again, for you get a chance to build bigger and better than before.
Addiction: the disease that makes you too selfish to see the havoc you created or care about the people whose lives you have shattered.
When your heart is breaking for someone who is broken, but your words cant reach them, ask the angels to go where you cannot. To whisper into their heart that their ears cant hear: We will not give up on you. Dont give up on yourself.
Also Check: How To Help Someone With Food Addiction