Recovery Quotes About Overcoming Adversity
Overcoming Addiction Quotes That Will Inspire You
July 20, 2019Rhonda Kelloway, LCSW, SEP
Guest post by Stephanie Gutzmer, Au.D., E-RYT
Beginning your addiction treatment journey and staying on the road to recovery can be difficult. Battling and overcoming addiction requires you to continually be attentive to working through your thoughts, emotions, and actions to avoid relapse. It requires a host of tools to get sober and maintain sobriety. However, these overcoming addiction quotes may bring you strength and motivation to continue your addiction recovery.
Quotes On Addiction And Recovery
First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you.
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Recovery is not a race. You dont have to feel guilty if it takes you longer than you thought it would.
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.
When you can stop, you dont want to. And when you want to stop, you cant. Thats addiction.
When was the last time you woke up and wished youd had just one more drink the night before? I have never regretted not drinking. Say this to yourself, and youll get through anything.
Im not telling you it is going to be easy. Im telling you its going to be worth it!
I have absolutely no pleasure in the stimulants in which I sometimes so madly indulge. It has not been in the pursuit of pleasure that I have periled life and reputation and reason. It has been the desperate attempt to escape from torturing memories, from a sense of insupportable loneliness and a dread of some strange impending doom.
Edgar Allen Poe
The goal isnt to be sober. The goal is to love yourself so much that you dont need to drink.
Addiction is just a way of trying to get at something else. Something bigger. Call it transcendence if you want, but its like a rat in a maze. We all want the same thing. We all have this hole. The thing you want offers relief, but its a trap.
Jamie Lee Curtis
You May Like: How Does Methadone Help Addicts
We Treat Both Addiction And Co
Northpoint Recovery the most trusted name in Idaho drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs can give you the knowledge, the support, and the tools you need to craft and maintain your own recovery. If you or someone you care about needs help with an alcohol or drug problem, contact one of their intake specialists today.
Addiction Quotes To Help You Manage Your Addictions
155. No one is immune from addiction it afflicts people of all ages, races, classes, and professions. Patrick J. Kennedy
156. Facing it, always facing it, thats the way to get through. Face it. Joseph Conrad
157. Every addiction starts with pain and ends with pain. Eckhart Tolle
158. We cannot, in a moment, get rid of habits of a lifetime. Mahatma Gandhi
159. Its an addiction and addiction is something I should know something about. Keith Richards
160. People who have never had an addiction dont understand how hard it can be. Payne Stewart
161. Secrecy, once accepted, becomes an addiction. Edward Teller
162. I admire anyone who rids himself of an addiction. Gene Tierney
163. Money is an acquired taste. But, once acquired, it becomes an addiction. Helen McCloy
164. An addict is someone who uses their body to tell society that something is wrong. Stella Adler
Read Also: How To Overcome Any Addiction
Addiction Is The Only Prison Where The Locks Are On The Inside Unknown
What makes addiction so challenging? The disease creates an internal battle that people with substance use disorders struggle with on a constant basis. Many addicts desperately want to stop using drugs and alcohol. At the same time, they struggle with physical and emotional compulsions that lead them to continue. The thing they want to get away from also provides temporary relief from the physical and mental challenges it causes. It can feel like being imprisoned, with your mind and body at war with one another.
This quote highlights the pain of wanting to be free from addiction, but feeling unable to control the urge to abuse substances. Of course, no one chooses to be addicted to drugs or alcohol. For many, dependence develops as a coping mechanism that allows users to numb their negative feelings and escape traumatic memories temporarily. When they stop using, these feelings and symptoms of conditions like PTSD may return. So, despite the many negative consequences, addicts and alcoholics can feel trapped, believing they need substances to cope with their underlying conditions. This is one way that the addict part of the mind distorts a persons thinking. Treatment programs like Liberty Ranchs helps participants manage and address their underlying conditions in healthier, more productive ways. Moreover, treatment helps clients deconstruct current ways of thinking and learn healthier ways to respond to difficulties, while providing structure and support.
Addiction At Its Worst Is Akin To Having Stockholm Syndrome Youre Like A Hostage Who Has Developed An Irrational Affection For Your Captor They Can Abuse You Torture You Even Threaten To Kill You And Youll Remain Inexplicably And Disturbingly Loyal
It can be difficult to understand why an addict continues to use drugs, when they may have destroyed that same persons intimate relationships, family, friends, finances, and life overall. Stockholm Syndrome is a great way to describe the control addiction has despite the devastation it causes. Although this is not one the love and addiction quotes that directly refers to romantic relationships, it can provide insight to a loved one on why it is not so easy to just quit.
To some, it may feel like being held hostage, but in biological terms, a bit more is happening. Addiction is a complex disease. It is defined by the National Institute on Drug Abuse as a chronic, relapsing disorder characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use despite adverse consequences. Although the initial decision to use drugs or alcohol was voluntary, as the addiction develops, a persons ability to exercise self-control becomes severely diminished. Long-term drug and alcohol abuse can create changes in the brain which may even persist after a person stops using.
Read Also: Do Drug Addicts Cheat On Their Spouse
Inspire Yourself With Addiction Recovery Quotes
Breaking free from alcohol and drug abuse is not an attempt at achieving the impossible. It is the direct opposite. Millions of people have successfully reclaimed their lives after a long downward spiral on the destructive path of substance abuse. We hope that these motivational addiction recovery quotes will give you the courage to begin your journey towards lasting recovery.
If you are already under the guidance and support of professional help, we sincerely encourage these addiction recovery quotes to reinforce your determination to stay in recovery and experience the happiness that comes from living a life of sobriety once again. As one of the premier addiction rehab centers in the country, Garden State Treatment Center is available to assist you every step of the way.
Recovery Quotes About Fear
97. Not feeling is no replacement for reality. Your problems today are still your problems tomorrow. Larry Michael Dredla99. The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one. Elbert Hubbard101. You must do the things you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt
Also Check: How To Help Someone Who Is Addicted To Alcohol
Inspirational Quotes About Addiction
100 inspirational addiction quotes to inspire your journey to recovery. Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love. Stroke recovery quotes inspirational words survivors encouragement francis survivor strokes st victims suddenly assisi doing saebo start medical recovering then inspirational quotes about addiction
Flowers Quotes Pictures and Flowers Quotes Images with Message – 16. 14 Images about Flowers Quotes Pictures and Flowers Quotes Images with Message – 16 : 16+ Inspirational Quotes For Overcoming Addiction – Brian Quote, I’m Here-James P. Graham | Poems About Death And The Future and also 30 Best Addiction Quotes and Sayings for Self Healing.
As A Recovering Addict You May Have Encountered Days That Seemed Rougher Than Others
When dealing with highs and lows in sobriety, many turn to inspirational recovery quotes as a source of strength. These 10 inspirational quotes for recovering addicts may renew your motivation to stay drug and alcohol free.Reading quotes can provide you with a boost of inspiration and help prevent relapse after drug and alcohol treatment. If you are a recovering addict, take a look at the following quotes below. Their uplifting messages might help keep you on your path to sobriety.
Recovery is hard. Regret is harder. Brittany Burgunder
The greatest mistake to make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one. -Elbert Hubbard
Great acts are made up of small deeds. -Lao Tzu
Dont let the past steal your present. Terri Guillemets
Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall.– Oliver Goldsmith
Courage isnt having the strength to go on it is going on when you have no strength. Napoleon Bonaparte
If you can quit for a day, you can quit for a lifetime. Benjamin Alire Saenz
It Does Not Matter How Slowly You Go as Long As You Do Not Stop. Confucius
When your past calls, dont answer. It has nothing new to say.
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be. Ralph Waldo Emerson
If youre looking to get started on your journey to sobriety, give us a call now:
Recommended Reading: How To Get Help For Heroin Addiction
Quotes For Daily Sobriety Motivation
The daily battle for sobriety is an all-too-familiar struggle for many recovering addicts. Even for those years into their sobriety, the threat of relapse remains a lurking presence in their day to day lives. If you ever feel this way, know that there are plenty of people who are dealing with the same struggle, and that each day of sobriety is another victory.
10. People often say that motivation doesnt last. Neither does bathing. Thats why we recommend it daily. Zig Ziglar
11. Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out. Robert Collier
12. Tomorrow is the most important thing in life it comes to us at midnight very clean. Its perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes weve learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
13. If you can quit for a day, you can quit for a lifetime. Benjamin Alire Sáenz
14. Fall seven times, stand up eight. Japanese proverb
15. Either you run the day, or the day runs you. Jim Rohn
16. Every strike brings me closer to the next home run. Babe Ruth
17. Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving. Albert Einstein
18. When you rise in the morning, think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love Marcus Aurelius
I Know Youre Tired I Know You Feel Like Giving Up But Youre Not Going To You Know Why Because You Are Strong And When Youre Survived Through All The Shit Your Addiction Has But You Through You Can Survive Recovery
John Gillen – Author – Last updated: January 13, 2022
John is one UKs leading professionals in the addiction recovery industry. Pioneering new treatment techniques such as NAD+ and ongoing research into new therapy techniques such as systematic laser therapy, John is committed to providing the very best treatment for people throughout the UK and Europe. During his extremely busy schedule, John likes to regularly update our blog section with the latest news and trends in the industry to keep visitors to our site as well informed as possible on everything related to addiction treatment.
Recommended Reading: What Degree Do You Need To Be An Addiction Counselor
Inspirational Quotes To Help Overcome Drug Or Alcohol Addiction
Sometimes, the right words can supply us with the inspiration and strength we desperately need. And lets be honest, inspiration and strength are two vital ingredients for anyone whos considering sobriety.
On a personal level, I know inspirational quotes and phrases have given me strength in the past especially when I was at my lowest. Those same quotes and phrases have also helped me make the right decisions when I was contemplating major changes in my life.
Quotes For People Fighting Addiction:
- You know youre an alcoholic when you misplace things like a decade. Paul Williams
- The mentality and behavior of drug addicts and alcoholics is wholly irrational until you understand that they are completely powerless over their addiction and unless they have structured help, they have no hope. Russell Brand
- Addiction is the only prison where the locks are on the inside. Unknown
- Drugs take you to hell, disguised as heaven. Donald Lyn Frost
- Addiction: the disease that makes you too selfish to see the havoc that you created or care about the people whose lives you shattered. Unknown
Also Check: Can You Get Addicted To Ecstasy
Recovery And Addiction Quotes To Inspire You Today
116. Not the world, not whats outside of us, but what we hold inside traps us. We may not be responsible for the world that created our minds, but we can take responsibility for the mind with which we create our world.Gabor Maté
117. Until you find out what you are running from, you will never figure out where you are going.Joseph A, Meyering Sr
118. We either win or we learn. So take the fuck-ups as new ways of getting good information about yourself.Faith G. Harper
119. Our wounds are often the openings into the best and most beautiful part of us.David Richo
120. We must dig deep inside our inner person and find that child who may have laid dormant for some time.Asa Don Brown
121. The issue of addiction has spread like wildfire and it is affecting every corner of this globe.Asa Don Brown
122. Addicts are addicted to their drugs, and their families are addicted to hope.Fredrik Backman
123. Life should be lived daily despite the obstacles we may face.Asa Don Brown
124. Each of us has a unique part to play in the healing of the world.
125. Addiction is a battle between love and hate. My therapist was right about that.Garry Crystal
It Always Seems Impossible Until Its Done Nelson Mandela South African Political Leader Philanthropist And Revolutionary
Nelson Mandela truly understood the importance of facing insurmountable odds head-on. As an addict, the disease of addiction may seem unconquerable, but you will never truly know what you are capable of until you actually try. Although your drug of choice may have caused you a great deal of pain, the thought of not having it may seem even scarier. Addiction creates physical and psychological dependence. The body now requires drugs or alcohol in order to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Many individuals do want to quit, but struggle with the painful symptoms.
As impossible as the withdrawal process may seem, it is a necessary obstacle to overcome. For instance, intense heroin withdrawal symptoms usually last for about 5 to 7 days, although others may experience post-acute withdrawal syndrome in the following weeks and months . You should also keep in mind that detoxing alone can be dangerous. You or your loved one may require medical support depending on the substance and the severity of the addiction, so it is always best to speak with trained professionals rather than going cold turkey alone. Facing this first obstacle is a necessary step to getting clean. The only way you will be able to recover is if you continue forward despite how impossible the end goal may seem at the moment.
Also Check: How To Get Over Addiction To Weed
The Journey To Recovery Begins Here
Are you or a loved one possibly suffering from drug and alcohol addiction? Youre not alone. At Landmark Recovery, weve built a reputation providing treatment for individuals seeking help for drug and alcohol addiction. Youre not just a number to us, and our team of dedicated professionals is waiting to greet you with compassion, understanding, and respect.
It is never too late to start the recovery process. Whenever you are ready to take the first steps to overcome addiction, Landmark Recovery will be here for you. These and other recovery quotes are a great way to facilitate the process of early recovery. Read them every day. When paired with the support of drug and alcohol recovery centers, your chance for a long-term recovery is higher, and your future is bright! You will start and continue to do amazing things, and you, as well as others will notice your amazing progress in recovery.